Forum Index

circular needle lengths

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donnaf
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: circular needle lengths Reply with quote

whuile working on the sleeves for Em's sweater (knitted in the round) I found it difficult to knit with the 16" circulars--there weren't enough stitches on the needle and it felt like they were being stretched. So I got a 9" circular--but then there were too many and the needle part was so short I was afraid my stitches would slip off or that I let it slip out of my hand.

Is there a length in between 9" and 16"?
Kathryn
Young Knitter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that there is, but there are a couple of alternatives.

Have you looked into magic loop or knitting on two circulars?

You'd be able to use the two needles that you've currently got to use the two circular method, but would need a larger one for magic loop.

I've tried both, and wasn't a huge fan of magic loop, but now knit most of my socks on two circulars.

Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That two circular technique looks like you could do it with three DPNs. The only difference being that you can pull the stitches on the unactive needle to the middle (cable) portion of the needle. I don't see any real advantage there tho. Magic loop works well for me. Sometimes I need only one loop on a short cable but, if the project is small enough, I pull through the second loop.

I've all my patterns and children's books in one place here;
http://www.amazon.com/Ann-C.-Cooney/e/B0052T7QG0/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1
GrannieAnnie06
Crafter Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is.. I've seen a 12 inch.. Personally, when something gets too tight for 16 in. needles, I usually switch to dpns..
Site Librarian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typed '12 inch circular knitting needles' into Google, and they came up with a long list of choices. You might try that.

I have used the two circ method successfully, also. My hands are big and stiff now, and so sometimes I have a problem with double points.
donnaf
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used 2 needles when doing toe-up socks.

Nony, I did a check on 12" and found a few listed on Amazon. I've tried dpns but feel so awkward using them. Guess with practice it gets better.
Kathryn
Young Knitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knancy knitter wrote:
That two circular technique looks like you could do it with three DPNs. The only difference being that you can pull the stitches on the unactive needle to the middle (cable) portion of the needle. I don't see any real advantage there tho.

You wouldn't be able to use three DPNs instead of 2 circulars. The two circulars method actually works because you can move the stitches to the cable of the inactive needle. If you think about it, when you're knitting in the round, you want want the stitches to move around in the the shallowest angle possible. With any method of working in the round (DPNs, one circ, two circs or magic loop), the stitches that you're working on are basically creating the straight part of a semi-circle, and the remainder are creating the curve (albeit slightly angular if you're using 4 or 5 DPNs). The angle at the needle change doesn't create any huge amount of stress on the stitches. However, if you used three DPNs, you'd have 180 degree turns at the end of each needle which would cause stress on the yarn, and probably terrible ladders. Besides, it can be hard enough to slip the toe stitches of a sock onto two DPNs as there isn't much room to work - I wouldn't want to try and knit them too! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Yarn/Needles questions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: