Forum Index

What happened to the monthly sections?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Audrey
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: What happened to the monthly sections? Reply with quote

There used to be monthly sections at the end of the index before where people posted the projects they wanted to complete before Christmas... where has it gone to? I just noticed it was out, sorry if this has already been discussed.
Holly
Old Knitter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry......I should have mentioned this....when we were having trouble with bandwidth I thought deleting something we could live without might help.

As it turned out it wasn't our content that was the problem, rather it was the tremendous number of GoogleBots we get each day. My daughter explains it's a double edged sword. The GoogleBots explore sights and record them so when folks search for say....'knitting chat rooms'....we will turn up. The downside is they are what is eating up our bandwidth.

She has increased it and let's hope we don't run out this month. It's doled out at the start of each new month, so usually our bandwidth problem starts to show up the last week. I have noticed that just before it happens we slooooooooooow down. I don't know if that's really connected.

I'm not a pro at this and just try to understand what Lori tells me.
Confused
Audrey
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer! Perhaps we could ask Lori if it would be possible at all to make the forum messages viewable by members only, like they do on Yahoo newsgroups. Anyone can see the index page, but clicking on the messages is only possible for members who have logged on. That way, the Google bots would not have access and leave our bandwith in peace. What do you think?
Holly
Old Knitter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummmmmmm......let me talk to the daughter.....this is a lot for this old brain to think about.
Very Happy
Kathryn
Young Knitter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just changed it so that you need to log in to read some sections.

The Knitting Specifics and Knitting Tips sections are still open to everybody to read.

Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Kathryn! Smile
Paula
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the google bots can get in anyway, even if you privatise the forum Rolling Eyes

One way to reduce the bandwidth of the actual forum is to use a link to another site rather than have it stored on the forum, for example, the months that you deleted Holly, you could have copied and put it onto a blog and just placed the link in a post, like the auntie knitalong, that way it's on the forum, kinda, but not using bandwidth. Does that make sense, better check with Lori though cos I'm no expert either.

You could do the same with the photos of everyone, put them on a blog or photobucket/flicka slide and then just place the link on the forum, you'd only have one post then instead of lots and I think that will mean you are actually using less bandwidth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Forum 'How to' questions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: