Forum Index

Pet Blankies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michele

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Pet Blankies Reply with quote

My grandmother used to take her scraps, probably anywhere from 12 inches to several feet long and make pet blankies. She tied the yarn together leaving about an inch of ends beyond each knot. She then made up the blanket with the ends sticking out all over. Just straight stitches, nothing fancy.

Every dog and cat that got gifted with one loved them!

Her's used whatever yarn she had and were not the prettiest things to look at (she primarily made afghans using granny squares, so she had a lot of non-coordinating colors), but if the colors were matched a bit, I would suspect they would look pretty to us humans and still keep the furry ones happy.
Paula
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fantastic idea michelle. I'd already decided that I wasn't going to waste any odds and ends of yarn and have a box epecially to keep them in until such time as I found a use for them. I don't have a dog but I do have 3 cats and they love blankets, so maybe I shall try this idea and see what they think.

I love to hear ideas from our past ancestors. Some we could well do to put into practice these days, I'm sure.
Kathryn
Young Knitter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea Michele.

My cats are fascinated by my knitting even when it's sat on the sofa. I'm sure that they'd love something just for them.

Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely idea especially with the thought that when finished there are no fiddly ends to sew in. I f you collect a lot of very short lengths of wool it is also a good idea to use them for stuffing when knitting toys etc., My cat is now 16 years old and I think that if I knitted him a blanket like this he would not bother to get up at all but just lay there dreaming his day away Laughing Laughing
Michele

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean your dear old sweet kitty doesn't get covered up so he doesn't get cold?

Now, who would do a silly thing like that? Rolling Eyes
elisjay
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He would certainly get covered up Michele, as no matter what he lays on he just burrows himself under it be it summer or winter. I think it must be a sign of getting old Laughing Laughing
Kathryn
Young Knitter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cats are 18 months old, and from time to time they do the same thing!

We're a bit unpopular at the moment as they've just spent a week at the cattery, and one of them spent most of yesterday lying on the floor, between the bottom of the duvet and the bed. Confused

Honored Parlor Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: little bits of yarn Reply with quote

I have quilted my Lucy a blanket but have not knit her one. Thought maybe her nails would get caught.

Take fusible webbing that rinses out with water, cut 2 pieces the length of a scarf, take one piece of the fusible and lay lots and lots of odd pieces and sizes of yarn, completely covering the fusible. Take the second piece of fusible and lay on top of the yarn.

Sew a grid with a sewing machine, wash out fusible and now you have a beautiful scarf that will get you lots of compliments. I can't find mine to show you a picture, but I am still looking. Afraid I gave it away to one of grandchildren or their mother.

DebbyK
Holly
Old Knitter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh, Debby......that is smart. You aren't just a pretty face.

Smile
Kathryn
Young Knitter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a wonderful idea Debby.
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will have to have a go at that Debby....sounds like a fun project. That is what I Love about this website there are always such a lot of interesting ideas being laid out in front of us, I just wish there were more hours in the day to be able to try a few of them Laughing
Holly
Old Knitter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put a basket by my bed and throw small yarn scraps in it and, as Michelle suggested, I have been tying them together with knots and leaving the ends about an inch long. I try not to plan the next color I pick up and have been knitting a wool pad for my cats. It's really neat. It looks kind of Southwestern. It's been a great 'in bed' project.
Smile
Yvonne
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cat loves anything woolly or furry. I crocheted him a blanket with left over yarn and he likes it well enough but not as much as he likes Cozy. Confused

Rav ID: thacka
Holly
Old Knitter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cats do own the world......
catstitcher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Pet blankies Reply with quote

I volunteer at my local animal shelter : I am a cat socializer and matchmaker....yes, matchmaker. I help match the right kitty to the right adoptive family. I have been getting my friends in my knitting guild to use up their scraps crocheting or knitting little blankies for the bottom of the cat cages. They LOVE them, and don't care what colour they are. One friend has a vast stash of acrylic worsted yarns in very peculiar colours, most of it gifts from people who think all knitters and crocheters love to take their leftovers. She uses a HUGE crochet hook and 8 strands of yarn at once, and uses single crochet to make the plushiest kitty blankets ever. The colours are wild, there are lots of little strands and knots sticking out where new ones are joined higgledy piggledy, and they are most welcomed. By using acrylics, they can be washed over and over in hot water, as the shelter has to keep things sterile. Catnip toys are also a good way to use up little bits. So, keep your local shelter in mind, especially with spring arriving, as most shelters are overflowing with mommy cats and kittens at this time.

My own cats have little blankets on all the furniture to keep the cat hair slightly under control, in their baskets, and at the bottom of my bed to protect the duvet cover. That last one is useless, really, though, since they prefer to sleep under the covers between poor hubby and me. With three of them, there is constant jockeying for position, since only one is allowed there at a time (one boy weighs 20 pounds and his "little" brother is at 17. Much too much cat to cuddle both at once.) Little girlcat Kenya at 8 pounds just watches ... carefully.

If you like to felt, there are some great patterns out there online for knitted and felted cat baskets. Mine prefer their woolies unfelted, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Odds and ends of yarn... All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: