Forum Index

Anyone interested in a sock-knit-along? Will be my 1st pr!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minnie_Purl
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that I am going to try the Campfire socks on my dpns for this KAL. I should have the yarn and ready to start on March 1st! Thanks for all of your interest! I can't wait! I did do two pair of quick nits that need to be stitched together. I am stitching the last pair together as we speak. The dpns will be my first use, when I attempted them earlier I decided that they were pretty findly and awkward. I was just not ready to try something new I suppose. Now that I have others with me on this, I am excited to start! A great carry along while I am on vacation! Laughing
A_nony_mouse
Site Librarian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=104

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/FEATtheresa.html

http://www.knittingatknoon.com/dpspartIII.html

http://www.morehousefarm.com/Knitting/Tips/Round/
knittingmama
Green Thumb Knitter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to hop into this one, too. I want to try some toe-ups, and this is a good opportunity to join in and have questions answered if I need help. It will also keep me focused on DH's sweater for another week and a half! Laughing
Nanette
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to join this kal too. I want to try a toe up pattern and this week will give me the time to gather my experimental needs, so March 1 it is. YEAH!

I have yarn for my oldest grand daughter and the amount is iffy (the LYS only had one skein of the pink she HAD TO HAVE), so I would like to knit both at the same time. I talked her into a dark brown for toe, heel and ribbing.
Nanette
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there everyone.

It's the 1st of March and I started my first toe-up sock. That's a minor miracle all in itself. Usually a day late and dollar short; or so excited that I start early.

I am using the Bombadil pattern but not the yarn.... I want to make sure that I'm not going to have holes or ladders or any other issues before I use that beautiful yarn.

I'm through the short rows and they went better than expected. I told myself to just follow the pattern, and don't try to figure out where you are going, only where you have been. That seemed to work out okay.

I then expected to just start on the pattern. That didn't happen. I think I need to knit a swatch of the pattern to get it set in my head. Plus, I probably just need a break. Taking 10 minutes here and there to throw in a load of laundry or fold it isn't enough of a break I guess.

hope everyone is having a great day. ttfn nanette
Knitting Novice
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be able to join in this time after all. Good luck to everyone though! Nanette - you sound like you've made a great start Smile
Minnie_Purl
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have started another pair of the 2 needle socks, as I forgot my dpn's and sock yarn at home (I'm vacationing in Cocoa Beach, Florida until March 16th), but I am trying a Homespun, similar to boucle for a pair of slippers for my DBF. He loved the softness and didn't mind that they would not retain their shape well.... so here goes!

I have casted on and done a couple rows, this yarn is more difficult to work with, but the color variation is just beautiful. I will try to post pics of this completed (when the are done I should say... lol) pair along with the other 2 pair that I have finished. My DBF has a photo bucket account already and has offered to take the pics and help me post them.

I am so excited about being able to do this kal! Thank you all for joining, it will be such fun! I may go sit on the beach and knit a bit while my DBF is fishing today. Listening to the waves while knitting, who could ask for a more relaxing afternoon? Has been a little chilly to sit by the pool today in a suit, so throw on some capris and a light sweater and I am on my way out the door! Wink
Nanette
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Knitting Novice, it seems to be working out. Join another KAL.

MP, what a wonderful place to knit, and you are there till the middle of March? Good for you.

Last night I was able to work out the pattern on a swatch, and then make it work on the sock. I'm actually going to make a small sample sock, just enough of each to make sure I have the idea for each section, and it can stay in my sock basket as an example.

Maybe I'll get to the heel later today, depending on how errands go (a.m. for my errands, and this afternoon for my mom's.)

Enjoy your day....

(spring is coming.... spring is coming. This for me)
Yvonne
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just plodding along with mine. Doing the leg of the first sock. I'm enjoying the pattern which seems to make it go faster.

Rav ID: thacka
knittingmama
Green Thumb Knitter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not starting mine until I finish the sleeve on DH's Aran. I have just one more 24 row set of pattern to do, and then the cuff, which is very quick. After that, I deserve something different for a few days!
Nanette
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some good news and some not so good news.

I didn't end up with any holes at the toe, but when I wrapped and turned for the heel, it wasn't so good. I think that with the knit 2, purl 1 pattern I didn't get the wraps as tight, because everything looks really loose. But the bad part was when I started the pattern around again I had two small holes on each side. Crying or Very sad

Anyone have a fix for this? All help appreciated. Question

My little sample sock looks like it's about the right size for a 3/4 year old. Cool
GrannieAnnie06
Crafter Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the sides if you will pick up a stitch in a loop somewhere, and then k2tog with your next stitch, that will help eliminate that hole..
Mother Christmas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will start on a sock today as it seems like the ideal time to knit one whilst my bad foot is healing.
I may be in plaster for up to 6 weeks so I need something to stop me going insane!
Not sure which sock or which method I shall be using yet!
I would rather be sat by the pool in Capri pants like minnie than sat in my joggers with my foot resting on a coffee table Laughing Laughing
knittingmama
Green Thumb Knitter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katknit wrote:
I would rather be sat by the pool in Capri pants like minnie than sat in my joggers with my foot resting on a coffee table Laughing Laughing

Wouldn't we all!
Yvonne
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nanette"]I didn't get the wraps as tight, because everything looks really loose. But the bad part was when I started the pattern around again I had two small holes on each side. Crying or Very sad

This is my problem as well. Next sock, I'll use yarn for stitch markers and try pulling the wrap tighter. I got it right sometimes because not all the stitches look loose. Rolling Eyes

Rav ID: thacka
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Knit-a-longs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: