Forum Index

Tomato storage tip

View previous topic :: View next topic  
A_nony_mouse
Site Librarian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Tomato storage tip Reply with quote

This is from Cook's Illustrated:

We’ve heard that storing a tomato with its stem end facing down can prolong shelf life. To test this theory, we placed one batch of tomatoes stem-end up and another stem-end down and stored them at room temperature. A week later, nearly all the stem-down tomatoes remained in perfect condition, while the stem-up tomatoes had shriveled and started to mold. Why the difference? We surmised that the scar left on the tomato skin where the stem once grew provides both an escape for moisture and an entry point for mold and bacteria. Placing a tomato stem-end down blocks air from entering and moisture from exiting the scar. To confirm this theory, we ran another test, this time comparing tomatoes stored stem-end down with another batch stored stem-end up, but with a piece of tape sealing off their scars. The taped, stem-end-up tomatoes survived just as well as the stem-end-down batch.
Yvonne
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I'll try it.

Rav ID: thacka
A_nony_mouse
Site Librarian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvonne wrote:
Interesting. I'll try it.

I am doing it with two that we bought yesterday, also. Will let you know how it goes.
knancy knitter
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that too and tried it, it works. The stem end down last almost twice as long as those left stem up! As a tomato grower this is a great thing to know as sometimes my vegi bin is bursting.
The greenies can be ripened too by wrapping them in newsprint and placing them in a cool dark place. Check every 5-7 days and pull out the ripe ones as they red up. Here in NJ my tomatoes have been inside for about a month and a half but we are still eating these shelf ripened lovelies. This years shelf crop is finally coming to an end, that usually happens around our Thanksgiving, the last half of Nov.

I've all my patterns and children's books in one place here;
http://www.amazon.com/Ann-C.-Cooney/e/B0052T7QG0/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Cooking Tips All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: