Forum Index

Lace KAL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyndyW
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true Nony. I usually only do one project at a time, maybe it's time to branch out and start multiple projects Very Happy
LillyAn did you say you were going shopping AT GA's house Question Very Happy hahaha
Have fun shopping
Kathryn
Young Knitter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're worried about taking part because you've never knitted lace before, there are a few patterns here that might help ease you in gently. (Don't forget - it doesn't have to be a shawl - scarves or socks are ok too).

Branching Out
Clapotis
Lace Ribbon Scarf
Ribbed Lace Bolero
Lacy Baktus
LillyAn04
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the first two. Saw those before and have them saved. The other are great also. Bookmarked those.
LillyAn04
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyndyW wrote:
That's true Nony. I usually only do one project at a time, maybe it's time to branch out and start multiple projects Very Happy
LillyAn did you say you were going shopping AT GA's house Question Very Happy hahaha
Have fun shopping

I did. I get a 2 week vacation and the first place I thought of to spend it was with GA. LOVE HER! We can knit together, fiber together, talk and think about quilting together. Her DH can watch Jake. Smile Perfect!
LillyAn04
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathryn wrote:
If you're worried about taking part because you've never knitted lace before, there are a few patterns here that might help ease you in gently. (Don't forget - it doesn't have to be a shawl - scarves or socks are ok too).

Branching Out
Clapotis
Lace Ribbon Scarf
Ribbed Lace Bolero
Lacy Baktus

Kathryn, do you think Shipwrecked from Knitty might be too much for a newby shawl knitter?
Kathryn
Young Knitter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with all knitting, it probably depends on how determined you are!

I'd say that if you take your time, use plenty of stitch markers and lifelines, and count often then you should be fine. It's a beautiful pattern.
Yvonne
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of caution from me about Branching Out. This really is not easy lace. I don't know which sadist at Knitty decided it was. You can't 'read' your knitting so have to really keep track of where you are. But once you've done it you can pretty well tackle anything. At least that's what I thought about it.

Lilyan, I think Shipwrecked looks awesome but don't let it stop you. When I started knitting I just jumped in and did what took my fancy regardless of how difficult it might be. Yes I made mistakes and frogged a lot (and lost my temper with it) but I got there in the end.

Anita: Feather and fan patterns always look good and aren't really difficult. How about this one

Nanette: I love your choice too. What colour are you using?[/url]

Rav ID: thacka
GrannieAnnie06
Crafter Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Branching Out was my first lace project, too.. and after that.. lace was a piece of cake...

I'm like you, Yvonne.. I just jump in with both feet... So far, the only pattern that has defeated me is Muir.. I just could not get the stitches to line up with the chart... But that's okay.. there are plenty of other patterns out there...
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Lace or Shawl? Reply with quote

Ohhhh - I thought March was just a "Shawl" KAL, (does it have to be lace?)

Anyway, you've all picked absolutely beautiful shawls. I know for sure I'm not ready to do that kind of work yet. However, if I can just do a "shawl", I still want to make this one. (I need something warm for over my shoulders/arms while I'm sitting and knitting.)

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/annaotherthing2/carols-clever-little-shawl

I've read the pattern over several times (waiting for this KAL in March) and I think I understand most of it. But there are two things I'm not "getting". Where the pattern says, "inc 6 sts on last row." (fairly near the beginning) and near the end where it says "decreasing 6 sts on 1st row of ribbing". It doesn't seem to explain *how* to inc. or dec. Can anyone please give me some guidance on that? (I just went through this with the beret, where I did the increase row incorrectly, so I'm a bit gunshy about increases right now.)

P.S. Yvonne - thanks for the F & F scarf pattern! I'm really into F & F right now. I still can not figure out that darned F & F hat pattern though. Crying or Very sad
GrannieAnnie06
Crafter Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everywhere else in the pattern, it says to inc by knitting in front and back of the stitch... I would assume that you could increase that way...

You can decrease by working two stitches together...
Site Librarian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clicked on this site to get the English Garden Shawl picture and joke about it being lace since it has a row of eyelets around it... Smile . But, as I was looking, I saw it has so many lovely & lacey patterns. http://www.yarn-store.com/knitted-shawl-and-scarf-patterns.html

I am sure there are tons of "free" patterns out there, too. We just need to look around. Wink http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/shawls_stoles.php
Nanette
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvonne I bought the Nature's Gold that the shawl is shown in.

LillyAn, the Shipwrecked shawl that you've chosen looks fabulous. After all the wonderful FO's I've seen from you I was suprised you hadn't knitted a shawl before.
LillyAn04
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never really wanted to knit a shawl. Didn't think I would use it. But I can always use it for something. Might make a great gift. Guess I need to learn how to knit lace. And I do love that shawl.
A_nony_mouse
Site Librarian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LillyAn04 wrote:
I have never really wanted to knit a shawl. Didn't think I would use it. But I can always use it for something. Might make a great gift. Guess I need to learn how to knit lace. And I do love that shawl.

You will be suprised how much you use and like shawls once you try them. As a nurse, my niece said they are easier than a cardigan to slip on when you sit to do your paperwork, and, as you probably know, when you are up working you stay pretty warm.
LillyAn04
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. Unfortunately, they put restrictions on what we can wear on the floor. We are headed to having to wear certain colors of uniforms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Knit-a-longs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: